March 7, 2014
Ms. Christina Louth
North Providence High School
1828 Mineral Spring Ave
North Providence, RI 02904
Re: Cutting up
Curriculum: Using Magazine Advertisements to Teach Content Area Subjects
Dear Ms. Louth,
I recently
attended your workshop hosted by the Rhode Island Writing Project at Rhode
Island College. Your refreshing approach to keeping lessons relevant was not
only engaging, but extremely simple and cost effective. You prefaced the activity by showing us a
Ted’s Talk video where the take home message was that it was time for students
to stop learning and start thinking. This
could not have been more true. Often times we become so focused on covering
content and performing on high stakes tests that we forget to give students
adequate time to digest what they’ve already been taught.
One of the
things that really stood out for me was how easily I could incorporate the idea
of cutting up magazine ads into my content area. Even more so how quickly the
activity transformed into a interdisciplinary project because as I analyzed the
advertisements, I paid closer attention to what the companies were trying to
sell us and why. It quickly stirred up my emotions to see that Toyota was
claiming that the Prius would keep our environment safe and “green”. At least
that was my interpretation of the picture, but the fact that it was “My”
interpretation, and no one else’s, made it resonate even more with me. Now I’m
wondering if consumers really believe that the only cause of the climate
changes we’re experiencing are due to vehicle emissions and that shelling out
an extra $20k for a hybrid car will really fix the problem. It now takes the scientific issue and turns
it into a social/humanities issue, effortlessly.
While I
quietly created my own advertisement, it gave me time to process all the things
I knew about climate change and also made me ask additional questions. For
example, “How much is this vehicle really helping to reduce pollution versus
perhaps riding a bike to school?” “What would be a better way of reducing my
carbon footprint?” Perhaps having students create a list of additional
questions that pop into their heads and engaging in group conversations, will
add another dimension to the activity that will also aid in their understanding
of concepts. This is definitely and idea that I will add to my toolbox. Thanks
for sharing!
Sincerely,
Brigette Banta-Cain
No comments:
Post a Comment