Wednesday, May 7, 2014

D&Z 5&(

Despite the many ways that education has evolved throughout the years, our reliance on books and other forms of texts as educational tools still holds a firm grip on our lessons plans.  It is because of the importance of reading that close attention must be paid to both what, and how, students read. Chapter 5 of D&Z presents so many great and creative ways to guide readers through text but one technique that really spoke out to me was the Anticipation Guide. It draws on what the student already knows and asks the student to make predictions and make his or her own conclusions before even tackling the reading. This resonates with me because one of the most important skills for scientists, is the ability to take into consideration all possibilities and either prove, or disprove, what was originally thought to be true. After doing the reading, the students will either reinforce what they already know or potentially realize what information was being misused in drawing their initial conclusions.
The “It says/I say” technique is also invaluable for me because lets face it, most scientific articles tempt the most talented readers to skim through after the first couple of paragraphs. I’ve seen students simply pull out answers and not really understand the questions being asked and the answers they’ve provided.  This technique encourages students to interpret the information that is being presented which in turn requires them to substantiate and explain the reasoning behind their responses.
I was even more so impressed with the idea of hosting a Book Club in science class. I have been playing around with the idea of incorporating new, real-life applications of scientific findings into my weekly lesson plans via recently published articles etc., but I wasn’t so sure how I’d decide which ideas would be most engaging and the frequency with which I’d draw attention away from the “normal” curriculum. A book club would solve both problems because the students are choosing the topics and are already coming to class having read and prepared what they are going to share with their peers, allowing for a quick and efficient weekly or bi-weekly transfer of information between students and an even easier opportunity for the teacher to assess students’ ability to think and lead conversations.





Despite the many ways that education has evolved throughout the years, our reliance on books and other forms of texts as educational tools still holds a firm grip on our lessons plans.  It is because of the importance of reading that close attention must be paid to both what, and how, students read. Chapter 5 of D&Z presents so many great and creative ways to guide readers through text but one technique that really spoke out to me was the Anticipation Guide. It draws on what the student already knows and asks the student to make predictions and make his or her own conclusions before even tackling the reading. This resonates with me because one of the most important skills for scientists, is the ability to take into consideration all possibilities and either prove, or disprove, what was originally thought to be true. After doing the reading, the students will either reinforce what they already know or potentially realize what information was being misused in drawing their initial conclusions.
The “It says/I say” technique is also invaluable for me because lets face it, most scientific articles tempt the most talented readers to skim through after the first couple of paragraphs. I’ve seen students simply pull out answers and not really understand the questions being asked and the answers they’ve provided.  This technique encourages students to interpret the information that is being presented which in turn requires them to substantiate and explain the reasoning behind their responses.
I was even more so impressed with the idea of hosting a Book Club in science class. I have been playing around with the idea of incorporating new, real-life applications of scientific findings into my weekly lesson plans via recently published articles etc., but I wasn’t so sure how I’d decide which ideas would be most engaging and the frequency with which I’d draw attention away from the “normal” curriculum. A book club would solve both problems because the students are choosing the topics and are already coming to class having read and prepared what they are going to share with their peers, allowing for a quick and efficient weekly or bi-weekly transfer of information between students and an even easier opportunity for the teacher to assess students’ ability to think and lead conversations.















Bibliography

Daniels, Harvey, and Steven Zemelman. Subjects Matter: Every Teacher's Guide to Content-area Reading. Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann, 2004. Web. 









Bibliography

Daniels, Harvey, and Steven Zemelman. Subjects Matter: Every Teacher's Guide to Content-area Reading. Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann, 2004. Web.

No comments:

Post a Comment