LITERACY BEYOND BOOKS
Brigette Banta-Cain
Rhode Island College
SED 406
Abstract
Acquiring literacy during the early
stages of cognitive development is vital in setting the stage for further
educational advancement. While most of this skill is developed in a school
setting, it is not necessary to limit one’s educational experience to the
confines of a formal institution. Learning and literacy, which go hand- in-
hand, can occur at any place and time but more importantly, in any form. One of
many forms of Literacy takes place in the utilization of modern technology more
specifically computers, which require the user to employ language that he or
she would not normally use in natural conversation.
Outside of school,
my life is like one huge juggling act. Between work, kids and school, there is
very little time for idol thought. I have to maintain a clear and accurate
schedule, not just for myself, but also for the rest of the family and their
extra-curricular activities. My schedule alone involves keeping track of both
my short and long term goals which can change from one moment to the next. I
manage to keep it all together thanks to Apple and its array of technological
products that keep me synchronized with my high pace lifestyle.
My
day begins with an alarm which thanks to apple and its amazing iPhone, varies
according to the day of the week and my work schedule, allowing me to squeeze
in an extra thirty minutes of sleep whenever possible. Before I even make it out
of my bed I review emails from co-workers as well as my son’s first grade
teacher who has also learned how to get the most out of her apple
products. She faithfully takes pictures
on her iPad throughout the day and emails all the parents with a quick description
of what went on in each photo. Being
that I spend less time with my kids than I’d like to, it is very comforting to
get those small glimpses of their day-to- day lives.
Once
I’ve reviewed emails and Facebook statuses, I move onto the weather and traffic
conditions, all from the palm of my hand and before I’ve even had enough time
to turn on the shower. I then respond to an on going group-message between
myself and my close circle of friends that allows us to vent or add a little
sunshine in each other’s lives with a funny joke or quote before we take on the
world every morning.
On
my way to work, I receive text messages from co-workers placing and/or taking coffee
orders with whomever has volunteered to make the run that day. Thanks to my iPhone
app, INRIX, I receive up to the minute traffic updates warning me of any
oncoming delays on the road and giving me the opportunity to call in ahead of
time to notify my work if I’m going to be late. As if my iPhone weren’t already
doing enough for me, it also keeps my coupons organized, allows me to do my
banking on the go, and records voice memos of all the things I need to
accomplish before I head back home that evening.
Last
week, while at work, I received a message from RIC informing me that the classes
would be canceled for the next two days due to inclement weather. Within the
hour, I had shopped for groceries, rented movies, downloaded the kindle version
of one of my college courses’ textbooks and canceled appointments, without
moving from my desk. Do I still have enough energy to cook tonight
or should I just order something and pick it up on the way home? Feeling lazy? No problem. With all the
restaurant apps I have on my iPhone I can have my order waiting for me curbside
with minimal effort. Done.
My
innovation is often met with my mother’s disapproval towards the hours I spend
on my gadgets. I’ve even attempted showing her how to text but navigating
through the “lingo” required to send a text message has proven to be too
difficult for her. Frustration, more often than not, wins the battle, forcing
her to place an actual voice call which I have grown increasingly apprehensive
about answering and quite frankly, just too busy. I realize that this must all seem like a
foreign language to someone who doesn’t understand what an “operating system”
or a “search engine” is. So my tech saviness is lost on her because she doesn’t
realize just how much I can accomplish in one day thanks to my ability to
navigate through the software required to run all these tools on a daily
basis. The truth of the matter is that
my cell phone and computer have become a natural extension of my person and
without them, I would have a very hard time managing my life and accessing the
information that I need not only for my daily activities, but also in
continuing my education.
Nice to see. I recommend the NGSS and Common Core apps, both free.
ReplyDelete