At the Rhode Island Teacher’s of English Language Learner’s
conference this year, they discussed Sheltered instruction and Common Core
Standards. I had been playing with the idea of becoming an ESL teacher but
given my lack of experience as an educator, I thought it was best to focus on
one facet of education at a time. The truth of the matter is that it is
impossible to provide differentiated instruction without considering the
students who are English Language Learners. More importantly, research has
shown that using the SIOP model benefits all students, not just those learning
a second language. Attending this conference was very crucial to my
professional development. I gained a better understanding of the SIOP Model and
its components. which were briefly touched upon during Educational Psychology
but which were still unclear to me. Lesson planning and delivery suggestions
were made available. There was a huge stress on adaptations such as graphic
organizers and outlines which I found to be extremely helpful even for myself
as I presented my second microteaching lesson. Making lessons multisensory was
also something I took away from that session and judging from the feedback I received
from my peers, it was extremely effective when I incorporated it into my
lesson.
All in all
it was a highly beneficial conference that made me better aware of my options
as I create future lesson plans. I will definitely
attend more conferences throughout my career as an educator.
No comments:
Post a Comment