From Brigette to Mrs. B....
When asked why I want to become an educator, I usually come up with some silly response such as "I like to take the summers off". The truth of the matter is that teaching is something I've daydreamed about since I sat in my high school chemistry class. I too wanted to stand before a classroom full of students that would hang on my every word. I did mention it was a "Dream" right?
Life took many twists and turns and although I knew I wanted to earn a degree in Science, I still wasn't convinced I had what it took to be a teacher. I decided to take a job as a teaching assistant at a facility that dealt with students with behavioral and developmental problems.Thats when I realized that I connected well with students. I quickly earned their trust and respect, and that made my role as a mentor much easier and rewarding.
I am now actively pursuing a RIDE approved teaching certification at RIC and in the meantime, I'm working as a Teaching Partner at Paul Cuffee Upper school to gain classroom experience.
Everyday is an opportunity to learn new things. I look forward to being the one doing the teaching!
No comments:
Post a Comment